The Federal-style building, purchased in 1911 by Yale graduate and philanthropist Alexander Smith Cochran, was in need of extensive restoration and structural rehabilitation. A new wing, which included a sun room, covered deck, and garden court, greatly expanded the reading areas.
The interior renovation was architecturally sympathetic to its original character. The stile and rail walls mimic the existing walls, with painted panels to accent the trim. Wrought iron grilles are located in the panels to keep the bead board ceiling clear of registers. The renovation of a restroom, to ensure ADA compliance, maintained historical accuracy.
The addition and rehabilitation successfully prepared the building and grounds for future generations of scholars and educators.
New garden room, new club offices, new gazebo, new fenced-in garden, exterior and interior restoration
1,800 sf (building)
Withheld upon client request
Completed in 1996