The historic 13,500 sf Downey House was part of Wesleyan University’s master-planned renovation of the Humanities Department’s buildings. The building was built in 1841-42 and designed in the Italian Villa style.
The renovation repurposed the building to include classrooms, offices, and seminar spaces that are now ADA-compliant. The cupola area (third-floor mezzanine), which had not been used, now serves as a reading room finished with built-in bookshelves and informal seating.
New addition and adaptive reuse
New classrooms and administrative offices for three university departments
Completed in 2004