The Dr. Susan S. Sheridan School was built in 1922 in the Neo-Gothic style. Named for a former New Haven teacher, the original structure was 44,000 sf, with 46,650 sf added in the 1960s. By the late 1990s, the City of New Haven determined the addition was in a state of disrepair and required demolition, while the original historic structure required complete renovation.
Kenneth Boroson Architects designed a “renovation as new” with a 57,000-sf addition to create a new 101,000-sf magnet school with a PreK-8 curriculum focused on science, communications and technology.
Now accommodating approximately 575 students, the facility includes new classrooms for science, music and art - laboratories for video production, computer graphics, and applied technology as well as a standard science lab. Also included were two guidance suites, a nursing clinic, general administrative offices, and various spaces for storage.
The Mauro-Sheridan School Library is located in the center of the building to provide easy access to all. The plan, a nine-square grid, reflects the design of the City of New Haven; dropped beams with columns reinforce this plan. The library has eighteen-foot high ceilings with two-story windows that view the dramatic cliffs of West Rock Ridge State Park. A central checkout desk allows the library director to oversee the entire space, which includes separate elementary and middle school areas, a reading area, and computer stations.
Connecticut High Performance Building guidelines were met by providing state-of-the-art energy efficient mechanical and electrical systems. In addition, the building is now fully accessible to persons with disabilities.
The project was recipient of the US EPA’s “Energy Star Challenge” and the 2010 Connecticut Building Congress (CBC) Project Team Award.
New addition and “renovation to new” designed to LEED Silver equivalency, received Energy Star award
PreK-8th grade school for 540 students includes 24 classrooms, gymnasium, cafeteria with stage, music room, art room and science and computer laboratories, administrative spaces and support service areas
Completed in 2009